2020 – what a year it was! 2021 is continuing to be full of changes. What to do – what to do? I try to focus on what I can control and what I can impact. One of those things is self-development, feeding my desire to learn/grow and also to stay relevant to what the industry is doing. We all drive the bus to our own growth. But how, how in the world in all of my hustle and bustle day of the 8,000 things I need to get done do I make time for this on top of everything else I have to do? I am a huge fan of maximizing your time. Take a look at everything you do and see how you can squeeze it in. When you’re on the treadmill, when you are waiting in line, when you have some windshield/air time, schedule it, or carve out some of your Facebook time and divert it to your growth and development time. It doesn’t need to be an hour or hours at a time, sometimes it might be 5-10 minutes. There are many different resources and formats that you can use to digest.
Here are some of my top hits:
- LinkedIn – You can browse your feed when you’re waiting in line or instead of Facebook, etc., jump on LinkedIn. If you are following the right stuff or have good connections, it’s great what you can learn at a quick glance.
- Online articles – Great place to find out industry news. Subscribe to those that you connect with.
- Google news – Like LinkedIn, you can follow certain customers/businesses/people.
- Books – Whether it be the old-fashioned kind, the downloaded kind, or get this – did you know your local library has an app that allows you to check out books AND audiobooks?? I wasn’t aware of this, and it’s the best thing that I’ve found out about in the last few years! Hello audiobooks when I’m in my car and I’ve got some windshield time. I can go through 4-6 books in a month.
- Ted talks/Podcasts – Another good thing to listen to on the treadmill or when you’re traveling.
- Associations/Groups – Get involved and be present.
What makes my top 10 list?
- The Vernon Company 😊
- Harvard Business Review
- Simon Sinek
- Shari Levitin
- Dr. Travis Bradberry
- Steve Richard
- The Infinite Game – Simon Sinek
- Find Your Why – Simon Sinek
- It’s Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy – D. Michael Abrashoff
- Good to Great – Jim Collins
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team – Patrick Lencioni
- The Energy Bus – Jon Gordon
- The Power of a Positive Team – Jon Gordon
- Outliers – Malcolm Gladwell
- Grit – Angela Duckworth
- Secrets of Closing the Sale – Zig Ziglar
You’ll be surprised how much time you can fit this in. Do it – you’re worth it! Cheers to a great and successful 2021!